- Information Technology professional with over seven years of software development experience and twelve years of systems and network support experience.
- Technical skills include object oriented software design, integrating data from diverse systems, maintenance of existing applications, and a proficiency with Web-based technologies.
- Soft skills include a proficiency in establishing requirement specifications, the ability to quickly become familiar with new products and technologies, and a strong understanding of the user perspective.
Applications and environment experience includes Microsoft .NET
(including ASP, C# and VB), Java, HTML, PHP, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft IIS,
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), and ESRI ArcGIS.
Industry experience includes retail, manufacturing, R&D and
Department of Defense.
Independent Software Developer
Portland, Maine • 2006 to present
Design, develop and deploy custom Web-based and stand-alone Windows applications, data integration and reporting solutions, and customizations to commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software packages. Most applications are written in .NET and utilize Microsoft SQL Server, while Perl, Python, PHP, Java, shell scripts and SQL stored procedures are also used as appropriate for each project. Also work with clients or end users to identify and refine technical specifications, as well as assist end users and domain experts in understanding capabilities and limitations of software products and available technologies.
Artist & Craftsman Supply • Portland, Maine • 2010 to 2011
Responsible for all aspects of information technology in a 17-store retail operation, including custom EDI and ERP software development, technology planning and purchasing, system administration and user support. Proposed, planned and developed software utilizing EDI to reduce administrative costs, automate the replenishment cycle, and update inventory data. Also documented and refined existing IT processes and established new procedures.
Technology Systems, Inc. • Brunswick, Maine • 2009 to 2010
Developed new software and maintained existing software with a focus on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for defense department R&D applications. Integrated ESRI ArcGIS products into custom mapping applications and added custom functionality to ArcGIS. Member of a project team tasked with developing a simulated flight deck environment for testing several key DDG-1000 systems, and wrote technical documentation and test procedures for the turning gear system on the US Navy's DDG-1000 destroyer.
Research Computing Group, University of Southern Maine • Portland, Maine • 2005 to 2008
Member of a three-person team developing the Gulf of Maine Biogeographical Information System, a Web-based application designed to provide access to and visualization of biological and physical data for research scientists and public policy managers. The system utilized ASP.NET, ESRI ArcSDE, ArcIMS and Oracle 10g.
Transit ID • Portland, Maine • 2007
Designed, developed and deployed custom Web applications given clients' domain-specific requirements. Worked with clients to identify and refine technical specifications, as well as to help define requirements and functionality for clients who had only general goals in mind. Also supported and maintained existing applications written in C# .NET, VB .NET, classic ASP and PHP.
Information Technology Consultant
Livermore, Maine • 2001 to 2005
Provided IT support and systems administration on a contract or per-call basis, as well as through technical recruiting agencies. Deployed, maintained and troubleshot software, servers, desktops, and network infrastructure for companies ranging in size from three to 1300 users. Also supported and trained end users, documented new and existing procedures, developed applications and shell scripts to automate processes and remotely administer systems, and participated in rotating on-call responsibility for mission-critical systems. Larger clients included Central Maine Power, Brunswick Naval Air Station, MeadWestvaco (Rumford mill) and International Paper (Androscoggin mill).
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
University of Southern Maine • Portland, Maine • Expected 2013 Graduate
- Member of the Internet Spatial Information Systems Collaborative, a research working group made up of USM faculty, students, and staff with a focus on open-source Web mapping and spatial databases.
- Received two National Science Foundation funded fellowships to support development of a biogeographical information system.
- Poster presentation at the October, 2007 Ocean Biodiversity Informatics Conference in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
Associate of Applied Science, Computer Technology
Central Maine Technical College • Auburn, Maine • 2000 Graduate
- Graduated with honors. Inducted into the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.